10 October 2004

Mediocre Drumming

I was interested to notice earlier this year that Sony Wonder would be releasing a stand-alone copy of Rankin-Bass' moving story of The Little Drummer Boy. Last year I did a nasty review of the version that was included as a bonus on last year's DVD release of R-B's classic Santa Claus is Comin' to Town. While Santa was pristine, Drummer Boy was a dreadful, dirty, dark transfer with parts of the soundtrack missing. I was disappointed.

I took the risk and ordered the stand-alone copy in the hopes that this new release would be a better version of the complete story.

No such luck. I'm arranging to return it now. Sadly, it's the same version as on the previous DVD. It's sad that the videotape version is better than this misbegotten copy.

(Ironically I'm just starting to watch my set of Make Room for Daddy's fifth season, from 1957. The episode quality, filmed ten years before Little Drummer Boy, is excellent.)

No comments: