21 December 2007

Christmas-y Goodness Redux

Been nice the last half of this week working in the light of the Christmas tree and the village on the mantel, listening my way through my collection of Christmas music on cassette. The second side of the carrier holds many favorites: Mannheim Steamroller, Mantovani, the early "Revels" albums, and even a couple of the obscure British carol albums I bought at Oxford Books before they closed.

(List of stores I miss, especially before Christmas: Woolworths, Woolworths, Woolworths, Woolworths, Woolworths, and Oxford Books, PharMor, and, always, the old Paperback Bookstore in Providence...did I mention Woolworths?)

Tuesday evening our branch had a Christmas party at Maggiano's at Perimeter Mall. Ed (our supervisor) let us out early, so I rushed home, walked Willow, then drove back to James' work so we could carpool. We went "through the back" instead of via interstate and found the non-valet parking nearly surrounded by police cars with blue lights flashing. Maybe shoplifters? It was a super party, with good food and good company. All the food was delicious, but my favorite of all was the bread! Before we left, we had a little prayer for Carla, whom we lost last Saturday.

This evening we bought a few last things. Two items we bought at Borders and had the young ladies doing the free gift wrap do their thing. They were eager but not very skillful (but then they had a very small table; it was very hard for them to maneuver). Came home to wrap three more things, and now under the tree looks like a Macy's ad.

I was mourning the fact that the Russell Stover maple cream Santas had milk chocolate coating. Their maple cream Easter eggs have dark chocolate coatings and in 2006, so did their Hallowe'en "buzzard eggs," but this year the buzzard eggs I found were...ugh...marshmallow. Well, I wandered off to look at their Christmas things and James appeared with an entire box of Easter maple cream eggs! He found them on the highest shelf in the candy department. I put the box up in the spare room closet; I can have one a week as a treat and they will last me until next fall. I see Mr. Nicholson has been hanging about again. I wonder if that was their Easter supply in advance?

No comments: