25 July 2011

Rudolph Day, July 2011

"Rudolph Day" is a way of keeping the Christmas spirit alive all year long. You can read a Christmas book, work on a Christmas craft project, listen to Christmas music or watch a Christmas movie.

I'm already collecting Christmas books for reading this year. Some are holdovers from last year, as I had quite a few things on last year's pile.

Santa, by Jeremy Seal, is a British book I heard about while listening to the author read it on BBC Radio 7 (now BBC Radio 4X). It's a whimsical look at the history of Santa Claus from his origins as St. Nicholas.

Another holdover from last year is a Mary Higgins Clark Christmas mystery book, Dashing Through the Snow. She has a half-dozen of these little Christmas mysteries; this will be my first.

Yet another holdover is Christmas 1945, which I wanted as soon as I saw it last year, but never managed to get to before the season was over. It's nonfiction about the first Christmas after the end of World War II.

Plus just recently I found a book I didn't even know about, Tis the Season TV, subtitled "The Encyclopedia of Christmas Themed Episodes, Specials and Made-for-TV Movies," by Joanna Wilson. How could I resist? (I wonder if she's going to put out a second edition; I have descriptions for all the Lassie episodes she only had titles for. :-)

(I may not wait for Christmas to start the latter. It's like a bag of peanuts just begging to be eaten.)

No comments: