06 December 2022

Christmas and A Lot More

CHRISTMAS BOOK REVIEW
Llewellyn's Little Book of Yule, Jason Mankey
I'd intended to borrow this book from the library. They had it two years ago. I took a photo of it to remind myself it was there. Then they remodeled. And poof, it was gone! Nor was it in the library system at all! In fact the library seems to have fewer and fewer books every time I go to it, and more computers. When I first moved to this county 30 years ago, the main library had wooden shelving way over my head and almost every shelf was stuffed with books. Now there are fewer, metal shelves, they are not even six feet high, and if each shelf is 1/3 full, that's a lot. Many of the shelves have only four or five books on them.

But I digress. I found it for a good price, so I bought it.

Unlike other Wiccan books, this does not solely concentrate on Wiccan practices only and acknowledges the Christian, Jewish, African-American, and other ethnic holidays that surround the Winter Solstice, talking about what formerly pagan customs were incorporated into the Christmas celebration itself. There's a history of midwinter celebrations, Wiccan craft projects you can do (some of them which can be adapted into just family crafts), histories of Christmas, Hanukkah, and Kwanzaa, going all the way through Epiphany and the wassailing of apple trees.

I found it a rather nifty little volume!

No comments: