06 March 2004

Time to Go Into Mourning...

The trees are starting to bloom. The forsythia has green shoots, pale green is showing on the Bradford pear trees, and other trees have red buds and leaves. Some of the azaleas are even blooming.

Plus this week it was 70°F here almost all week. The moment it got warm, my nose stuffed up, my sinus headaches started up, and tonight I had a coughing fit. How can I help being so negative about a season that makes me feel so wretched?

Plus last night the first mosquito of the year was buzzing around the den. Gah.

Too bad I can't just block my nose up and enjoy the colors of spring: the bright yellow of the forsythias, the snowy white of the Bradford pears, the pinks and reds and purples of the azaleas, the red buds of some of the trees, the moony glow of the white dogwoods. At least it's going to go back to being cool at night again, at least for a while. The tropical nights are the worst. I can stand almost anything as long as it's cool enough at night to sleep, and the daytime sky remains a heartbreakingly beautiful blue.

It's when the horizon turns yellow and scummy and the air is too humid to breathe that I want to hibernate until better weather comes...

No comments: