30 October 2004

Slow Going

I was going great guns on this site last year and this year is a bit slow. The car accident threw a big wrench in the works and I seem to have had some emotional repercussions from it. Also, we're going through a reorg at work and even more importantly, my mother isn't well and it's worrying me.

It's one of those atypical years that they talk about in Unplug the Christmas Machine. It happens, especially as you grow older. Once the car issue is resolved and I can see my mom (the two are tied together as we're driving to see her--if the body shop ever gets it fixed!), perhaps I'll be on a little more even keel.

But holidaywise I can recommend some things:

The new issues of Thanksgiving Ideals and Christmas Ideals are out. I like these Ideals season issues much better since they began using photography and better artists. I never could get into the old issues where they used very bad commercial art and tinted pages along with trite poetry. The modern fall editions, for instance, now have gorgeous photos of autumn leaves, and the Christmas edition has lovely snowscapes. The poetry, which has improved immensely, also contains lovely imagery, and the poems are interspersed with essays about the season and one or two articles about collecting antique items or profiles of historical people.

I received "Christmas at the Almanac Town Hall" a few weeks ago. It's delightful--it sounds as if several neighbors who play different instruments got together to play seasonal items for a gathering at a Grange supper or community dance. Also, just found out there is a new "Windham Hill Christmas" album out, called "I'll Be Home for Christmas." Anonymous 4 also has a new one out, "Wolcom Yule" I believe is the title, with medieval and Renaissance carols.

No comments: