21 October 2005

Friday Five

Don't Fall For It

1. What do you like or dislike about autumn?


I love autumn. It's my favorite season. It's when the weather gets cool, but not cold, and I love the colors of the turning leaves. I love the scent of burning leaves as long as they're not too close. I love the beautiful blue skies and the wispy white cirrus clouds. I love the fall foods: gingerbread and hot chocolate and pumpkin pie and pumpkin bread. I love the fall holidays, even Hallowe'en, which has never been my favorite, but it's a fun dress-up day. I love honoring the brave men and women who have given of their lives to serve their country on Veterans Day. I love the reunion and cameraderie (and the turkey and butternut squash!) of Thanksgiving, I love reading about the customs of St. Nicholas Day and St. Lucy's Day even if we here don't observe them.

2. Have you raked leaves into a pile just to jump in them?

No. We never had enough leaves at our house to do that and I wouldn't jump in a pile of leaves from our yard; it probably has cat poop and mosquitoes in it.

3. Have you ever carved a pumpkin and how did it turn out?

No. My mom didn't make pumpkin pie and wouldn't have wanted to waste the innards of the pie. Besides, if you put a pumpkin out in our neighborhood, the stupid jerk kids would have it spattered all over the sidewalk in a couple of days.

4. Have you ever eaten anything made from pumpkins other than pie?

Yes, pumpkin bread and pumpkin muffins. The pumpkin bread at Bob Evans restaurant (they sell it in loaves, too) is superb!

5. Where is a good spot to see the leaves change color where you live?

Not around here, maybe, except in the park nearby. It's lovely up in Chattanooga and up at Helen in the North Georgia mountains, too; I hear it's nice at Brasstown Bald and in Blairsville, too.

1 comment:

Linda said...

Hi, Debby,

Don't know if you'll be back to read this, but to me I just sit down and write out the Christmas cards one night. I choose a nice design right after Christmas when they are on sale and pick a night after Thanksgiving. I used to do a letter but haven't lately; most people read my blog and our website. A couple of folks said they missed it. This year I wouldn't want to depress them with "Well, James' car got totalled, then the dog got pancreatis, then I had to fly to RI because my mom had surgery, then James got sick for three weeks and eventually had to stay overnight in the hospital, then I got sick, then my mom took a turn for the worse and I had to fly up to nurse her and finally brought her back with me after three weeks and she passed away four weeks later, then we spent four weeks in a non-air-conditioned house in mid-August cleaning out her things..."