04 November 2003

Some of My Own Answers #3

5. How would you spend Christmas if you had no money to spend on gifts?

I don't think there's a person out there that doesn't like getting a gift, unless they know it was bought under duress. Unfortunately many Christmas gifts are bought under duress: "Oh, you have to get a gift for ________" Nothing is as disappointing as receiving a gift with no thought put into it. A gift certificate to a certain store can be a more thoughtful gift than just some geegaw bought to fulfill the Christmas gift trap.

Now to actually answer the question: I'd still savor the season. I'd visit those people I couldn't buy gifts for and still have a good time. Gifts don't make the season; they're just a nice thing to do to show people you appreciate their presence.

6. How do you think Jesus would want his birthday celebrated?

This is a question that is bothering me this year for a specific reason.

Everyone knows office parties, right? Like every other office, ours has one every year. The restaurants/halls we've gone to vary in quality from year to year: once it was a claustrophobic low-ceilinged room with a bad selection of food. One year we went to Anthony's, which is a classy restaurant in a regal old home in Atlanta, and it was great. Last year they did Mexican, which doesn't agree with my tummy. Fact is, I haven't gone for the past few years. The places seemed overpriced and the socialization seemed forced.

A couple of years ago they formed a committee to help defray some of the cost of the party. These energetic folks have bake sales, silent auctions, and other things throughout the year so that cost per person won't be so high.

And as always we become "Secret Santas" to kids who need some TLC. Last year we became acquainted with a place that helps both abused and abandoned children as well as abused and abandoned animals. They help each other to heal and love again.

Well, during the summer we heard that the place was low on funds. And as the committee posts their little bake sale promos and silent auction announcements, there's something in me that says "Why are we going through with this ornate Christmas party to feed people who already have enough to eat (in my case too much!) when these folks who are doing good things are in financial trouble?"

So the answer to Question #6 would be obvious...but I'm afraid I'm too chicken to broach the suggestion.

Or am I just being a crank? Sigh...

No comments: