31 December 2003

Seeing Out the Old Year

Well, here it is New Year's Eve and we're at home. Remember James' cold, the one he caught at work. Well, on Monday it was evident it had been transferred to me.

I slept most of the day yesterday; when I didn't sleep, my nose did a remarkable imitation of a faucet stuck in the open position. Today I had to go to the doctor anyway, to get my pills renewed; the doctor also prescribed an OTC med called "Mucinex" (how appropriate!).

In surfing through programming tonight, we watched a bit of Boomerang's "Hadji New Year" Jonny Quest marathon, and then switched over to Fox Movie Channel for a special I'd heard about. For the past several New Year's Eves, Fox has been doing a marathon of The Poseidon Adventure (they do a full-screen version, widescreen version, and "annotated" widescreen version with production notes at the bottom), but this year they were adding a documentary called Cult Culture: The Poseidon Adventure, about Poseidon Adventure fans. Boy, and they say science fiction fans are weird.

These folks had a convention on the decks of the Queen Mary, where the opening scenes of the movie were filmed, talk about their favorite scenes, and even have produced a musical spoof of the film. It was wonderful, silly and entertaining all at once.

No comments: