02 February 2004

Candlemas

Today is Candlemas, the traditional day that all the church candles for the year were blessed. It is also the last day to take down your Christmas greens.

(How the heck, I hear someone say, could you keep real Christmas greens up this long? They would have dried up by now. Well, yes, today. Remember homes didn't have central heat back then. Fresh greens in the family parlour, which was only used on holidays and perhaps Sundays, would last for a while.)

I don't have any greens, but I still do have my Christmas cards up. It's about time I took 'em down. They're so pretty it's a pity not to leave them up longer than a few weeks.

I understand General Lee didn't see his shadow, so spring is a'comin' to the South, but Punxatawny Phil the Pennyslvania guy did. Pity we can't swap forecasts. The Northeast could use an early break from the snow and I'm not looking forward to more heat, mosquitoes, and pollen everywhere, especially since I'm allergic to anything live and green out there.

Some people get massively depressed at Christmas. I've been massively depressed since Christmas was over, even before Bandit died. Now without him to have to care for and keep his spirits up, there doesn't even seem to be a reason to get out of bed in the morning.

No comments: