10 March 2007

The Italian Saint

A week from Monday is St. Joseph's Day, and I thought I would get up a small St. Joseph's Day table or altar. These are usually large, elaborate affairs, mostly in churches, but sometimes in people's homes. Here's one in New Orleans.

Mine's a tad bit smaller. LOL. I bought the little statue at the Monastery of the Holy Spirit in Conyers, GA. I didn't want a white statue, but I liked the way this St. Joseph looked, strong, like a carpenter should. The brother working at the counter even blessed him for me. I found something to place him upon and covered it with a tatted piece my mother did many years ago. Around him are traditional fruits, including figs and olives on the right. I wanted to get an artificial roll, too, since breads are a big part of the display, but the only "fake bread" I could find was a too-huge loaf at Michael's.

The nuts in front, on the other hand, are real filberts and almonds.

St. Joseph's table

James' friend Rusty, at the hobby store, paints figures quite beautifully; he did a St. Jude statue for me many years ago. I am thinking of letting him paint this, too. Maybe I can find some artificial breads and nuts some other time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish I'd known you needed St Joseph - St Francis has about a dozen sitting on a shelf in our bookstore - I don't know why a southern Episcopal churh has statues of St Joseph, but they do. I know it's him, there's a saw in his hand. - Anne

Anonymous said...

I grew up in an Italian neighborhood in Brooklyn (early 1950). For some reason I woke up today July 18, 2013 humming the tune from Lou Monte's record "What Did Washington Say When He Crossed the Delaware." I had to find the lyrics and found them on your site (thanks). It brought back many happy memories of my early childhood. My entire family would laugh every time this song was played. It's a shame that, for some, political correctness now trumps humor. I've heard all the Italian jokes growing up and never took offense. People should try laughing more often, it's infectious. Laurie S