27 December 2015

An Annual Treat

CHRISTMAS BOOK REVIEW
Ideals Christmas, Worthy Media
May I say first how much I miss the other "Ideals" seasonal volumes? The Christmas one is the only one left. The autumn/Thanksgiving one was always breathtakingly beautiful in modern times (as opposed to the old "Ideals" up until about the 1990s, which often had terrible drawings in them which were then made worse by "colorizing" it in one color) with gorgeous photographs of autumn landscapes. The Christmas ones have snowy landscapes and cozy still life photos.

I really enjoyed the collection of essays this year; I usually like them better than the poems, which are pleasant but derivative. "The Stillness of Christmas" by John Peterson was lovely, something you don't usually see Ideals essays about. Michael Drury's "Christmas Has a Secret" was also good, and reminded me a little of Taylor Caldwell's oft anthologized "My Christmas Miracle." Dona Maxey's "A Gift of Love" about a mother's devotion was sweet as well.

I could wish for more snow photos, but...it was a good edition nevertheless.

No comments: