01 October 2006

Christmas Lights and "Kindred Spirits"

At Sam's today we checked out all their gift and decoration aisles; tons of stuff: several large gorgeous Nativity sets, also a Victorian village in a box (4 buildings and the ice skating pond and a bunch of different figures), and of course those big gift baskets of chocolate or tea things.

At the end of one aisle were the lights and they had several different choices of LEDs, which James has been interested in getting. Each different size (three in all) had multi and white bulbs, but the small ones also had blue strings. Well, we are "blue fools" with our outside lights and candles; only the tree is multi. I had bought five strings of 100 blue mini lights last year when they were on sale, but we still didn't use them because the idiot who designed our old house didn't put an outside plug in the front.

James' eyes lit up (pun intended! ) at the sight of LED lights, so he bought a box to decorate the porch. There are 180 lights in the string, 48 feet of lights in all. I suppose we can buy another string if needed, but it's not a big porch!

We also went to JoAnn since I had a 50 percent off coupon courtesy one of the ladies in one of my Christmas groups. Last week I had seen some small caroler figures about the size of large action figures; these are dressed in heavy "clothes" and carry different things. Several of the girls had red hair and since I've always wanted to be a redhead I wanted to buy at least one. Sadly, I couldn't use the coupon because they were already on sale. I picked out a red-headed girl with a roll of music in her hands, a red cap, and an old-fashioned plaid skirt, then had a glimmering of an idea but couldn't find a dark-haired girl caroler (all the dark haired girls were African American). The other carolers were all blondes or red heads. I did see one caroler in a cape and muff where only a little of her hair showed. Like Mary Clancy in The Trouble with Angels, I had a "scathingly brilliant idea." :-) I will get a dark marker or some black paint (whatever will work best) and darken her hair. Then I will have Anne Shirley and Diana Barry singing Christmas carols at Green Gables!

1 comment:

Emma said...

Oh, that's so cute! What a neat idea, Linda! :D