31 October 2006

"Trick or Treat, Smell My Feet..."

"...give me something good to eat...look out, look out, the goblins are out!"

Which means I watched the For Better or For Worse Hallowe'en special, and then It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown, and then it was time to man the door for the real-life Hallowe'en denizens.

I wore my cat outfit (black sweats, white gloves, and a black and white cat mask) and got lots of laughs from the adults taking the children around. There were several little girls dressed as cats and they seemed astonished to meet yet another cat! (Another tiny blond boy, however, seemed a bit overwhelmed by the costume and almost started to cry until I showed him it was a mask, after which he solemnly told me "Bye-bye.") I also had several compliments from the adults and the older kids about the decorations on the porch and in the foyer, which made me feel really chuffed! (A useful word that.)

The little girl next door was Elmo, and we had several Disney princesses, a cool kid in black robes with red eyes that glowed from a distance, a Ninja Turtle, various monsters and ghouls, several skeletons, Raggedy Ann, and too many others to remember. Everyone was happy and polite (no slouching teens who made no effort at a costume) and the little ones ran about shrieking happily. All the candy was gone and I had to turn away six kids, so that means we had about 76 in two hours and ten minutes.

Pidgie chirbled through much of the procedure and Willow of course barked. I can't remember when I enjoyed myself and at the same time felt so lonely and melancholy in my life.

No comments: