26 December 2006

Boxing Day Specials

In Britain and Canada, they have Boxing Day. In the U.S., we have Shopping After Christmas Day. <wry g>

It was a profitable day since everything was at least half off. :-)

At Walgreen's, for instance, I got two snowmen for the front porch. Right now they say "Merry Christmas" on them, but with a deft application of some blue and brown paint, we'll have "Let It Snow" and "Welcome Winter!" for the remainder of the season.

After a brief stop at Barnes & Noble for a "Cross Stitcher" magazine, it was off to Michael's. They had a 15-inch artificial tree in a Santa boot "pot," just perfect for the Rudolph ornaments, plus a few inexpensive "snowy" things. Next at JoAnn, a few more inexpensive winter things and two small Santa Clauses (also a wreath which was perfect for the door to the deck where we have the bird feeder; it says "Every Birdie is Welcome"). Linens'n'Things provided a birthday gift with a coupon.

Got another over-the-drawer towel rack for the kitchen in Bed, Bath and Beyond as well as something for James for Valentine's Day with another coupon. Borders provided a gift for next year; yay! 30 percent off coupon after the first of the year. Costco for gas, then a stop at Eckerd on the way home. They had small bead garlands; I got a gold one for the feather tree and a red one for the Rudolph tree (which I put up when I got home; it's not complete because six Rudolph ornaments are on the main tree). Looks cute, though.

The Christmas things at CVS didn't seem to be on sale, so I left.

I tried to get a DVD called One Six Right, a history of Van Nuys Airport that has garnered critical acclaim, for James for Christmas, but had to give him an IOU. I checked e-mail today and Amazon says it's getting ready to ship.

He's going to love it. I know because I saw it this afternoon: it was on Discovery HD! There's only one problem; it's going to make him "homesick."

At least I think it will. I got teary-eyed through the last ten minutes and I'm not even airplane crazy.

1 comment:

Emma said...

Yeah, I'll be doing my After Christmas Shopping tomorrow in Philadelphia and a few local towns, since I have the day off. I watched "Pirates Of the Carribean: Dead Man's Chest" tonight after work with my biological father, stepsister, and a family friend. The movie's fun but weird, and we had a good time watching the flick and gorging on leftovers from yesterday. ;)